Thursday 24 February 2011

Five Things I Want My Daughter To Know About Me

I'm joining in with Ella's fabulous Friday Club Carnival again this week because I started this blog, not only for myself but for my daughter.  This weeks theme is 'Five things you want your children to know about you and why' so here goes:

1. This blog.  As soon as my daughter is old enough to read and understand this blog in her teenage years, I want her to be able to read it.  I want her to have an open and honest 'library', as it were, to discover her Mum.  This blog wasn't started for readership popularity, it was started for me and my daughter - a place to document my thoughts, my fears and my life...with her in it.

2. Making mistakes.  I want her to understand that it's okay to make mistakes in life and that making mistakes only makes us stronger, makes us who we are.  I want her to know about the mistakes I've made in life like getting married far too young first time around when I thought I knew it all.  Without my subsequent divorce, I wouldn't have met my gorgeous husband Matt and we wouldn't have her, our beautiful daughter.

3. Being young and carefree (aka stupid).  I would like her to know about my teenage years and the things I used to get up to and what I hid from my parents.  I want her to know that there was once a time when I was young and I did things that I look back on now and shudder at the thought of.  I want her to know that I once went to Blackpool for the weekend with my boyfriend and a couple of friends when my parents thought I was staying at a friends house.  Thankfully nothing went wrong but imagine if something had happened?  I want her to know that I would like her to tell me everything for her own safety and that she can trust me completely and I'm a cool Mum.

4. Friends.  I want her to know that my friends are hugely important to me, like an extended family.  I want her to understand what the true meaning of friendship is and to hold on to a handful of true close/best friends throughout her life.  I want her to know that, when I was in my teens and first started showing a proper interest in the opposite sex I still made time for my friends.  I believe that is hugely important lesson in life because boyfriends come and go but true friends are there for life.

5. Last, but by no means least, I obviously want her to know just how much I love her. I want her to know that her Dad and I worship the ground she walks on.  Every smile, every look, every word, every giggle, every tear and even every tantrum is felt with such unconditional love that I can't imagine a time when she wasn't in our lives.  I started on my parenting journey later in life but she was definitely worth the wait.


The Friday Club
    

12 comments:

New Mum Online said...

Oh my gosh, a few of us are feeling like this at the moment (point 1). I mentioned it when I posted Aaron's clapping video a massive SEVENTEEN days after he clapped :-(
and Mummy Squared's just posted the same sentiment.
We have to all get our perspective back I guess.
But when you meet other lovely bloggers it gets really addictive doesn't it...

I love this post and am tempted to join in. Right now I am trying to remember what day Reasons to be Cheerful goes live as that is my favourite meme.

Although FlashBack Friday is really new I love it already.

I love points 3 4 and 5 above.

I also started trying for a family late in life.

Lovely to be following your blog and your journey.

Liska xxx

Hannah said...

What a lovely post :) Need to write mine tonight before the linky closes! x

P.S... Liska - R2BC goes live tonight!

AlwaysStriving said...

Lovely H, really lovely post

Emma said...

That's a lovely post, I'd want my son to know the same things I think - about me of course not you, that would be a bit odd!

Melissa said...

Love this idea!

Inside the Wendy House said...

Lovely post Heather. Having an honest, open relationship with your children is priceless. I never told my parents anything...I internalised so much and felt so alone. I never want my children to feel disconnected like I did.
Freya is lucky to have you as her Mummy xxx

Made for play said...

Hi Heather great reasons. It seeems from the ones I've read that making mistakes is a key feature. How refreshing that we don't expect our children to get everything right all of the time.

Lauren said...

I love this :-)

Definitely going to join in after reading your post xx

Anonymous said...

read yours and wanted to join in - thank you. love no. 3, *sings "be young, be foolish, be happy"* to you XX

Kelly Innes said...

I love the young-and-carefree-aka-stoopid comment. I think we've all been there. Not that our children will ever believe that of us...

Jacq said...

Learning to make mistakes count is so important isn't it? My 9 and 7 year olds are both struggling with this concept atm, they want to get everything right 100% of the time.

ella said...

Lovely post. I love the one about the friends, it's so important to have good friends and to know that they will see you through the good times and bad times. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...