Monday 21 February 2011

Operation Spring Clean

Every year I tell myself that I will give the house a proper 'Spring Clean'.  Every year I fail.  I usually end up doing some half-arsed tidy up with the odd spot of oven cleaning thrown in for good measure.  This year is going to be different.  I hope!

I do like to have a tidy house I must admit. I find myself feeling really fed-up when I let it get on top of me.  I'm a firm believer in the saying 'tidy house - tidy mind'.  Sad really but I feel so much better about things and so much better about myself when the house is clean and tidy.

Friends who visit my house are forever telling me my house is always clean and tidy - but chances are it's because I've run around like a loon cleaning up because I know they are coming.  I do try my best to keep on top of things though, for my own sanity.

Don't get me wrong, although my house is clean and tidy it's still a home.  There is nothing worse than a house that is so clean and tidy it doesn't look lived in.  You know the houses I mean.  They look like some sort of Show Home straight out of a housebuilder brochure.  When I was growing up I had a friend whose Mum kept one of those homes.  You couldn't even put a drink of squash down on the coffee table without feeling out of place.  I hated going there.

Because I've not been feeling great lately I've decided it's time to have a clear-out.  I've decided to be ruthless.  I'm going to attempt to tackle a room a day doing 2 or 3 rooms a week.  That way it's manageable, that way I don't burn myself out before I've even started and that way, more importantly, I am still there for my daughter.

I'm currently making a plan of action (aka list) of things I need to do.  Hell, I'm even going to pull all the white goods (ok, they are silver/grey in my kitchen but who cares) out and clean under them.  Yes, I mean business people!

I'm also having a mass fashion sort out.  I say the word fashion loosely though...I must have well over 2,000+ items of clothing bursting out of wardrobes, drawers, storage boxes and even the loft and I still complain I have nothing to wear.  Gok Wan would have a field day.  If he even tried to 'fashion fix' me he'd seriously have to buy up the worlds supply of clothes pegs to hang my sad attire out at the beginning.

So, over the course of the next month, if you see a couple of random tweets about Stardrops or Astonish, just ignore me and move along.


Photo credit: Suat Eman

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

I love a good de-clutter and clean out. My husband tends to get very nervous though cause all his stuff is fair game for recycling too :-D!

myevil3yearold said...

I get in these moods and I am raring to go. I get started and realize this sucks and lose all motiviation. I bet your house is cleaner than mine. Now, off to do more laundry

Ooh Baby - All things Cuteable said...

Gawd, that is a massive spring clean if it involves pulling out all the white goods! I can't even bear to thing about housework just now, I just seem to get the house tidy & clean (and it takes forever) nd then I've got to start all over again. Doesn't help when the hubby leaves everything at his erse lol ;o). I always say a good spring clean makes you feel so much better. If I'm feeling really crap I clean like a maddy - it's good for the soul. Can you fling your plan my way too ;o)

alysonsblog said...

well if youre still taken with this spring cleaning lark - I have a perfectly good house you can work it out on... anytime.. and I'll even provide tea and cake... now theres an offer you cant refuse

Anonymous said...

I came to read this hoping for a bore-inducing cure for insomnia! Fail! Instead I'm just imagining what horrors lurk under my fridge and that is definitely going to keep me awake ;) x

Nikki @ Styling You said...

Lovely to "meet" you through The Mid 30s Life. The best suggestion I could make is to make a booking with yourself to tackle the wardrobe. You'll feel so much better afterwards.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...