Tuesday 15 February 2011

Listography - 5 Top Movies (it's an 80's thing!)

Since I started blogging I've been joining in with the Kate Takes 5 Listography but I missed out last week because of real life - damn that real life getting in the way ;-)

When I saw it was films this week I had to join in. I'm a big film fan.  Infact...this (right) is just part of our DVD collection we have at home.  I say part as we are having a big sort out at the moment...infact I may be brave and sell some *gulp*

Oh and yes...they are all in alphabetical order.  I'm a freak.  I admit it.

Anyway, it's really difficult for me to pick 5 films as there are so many so I decided to pick my favourite 80's movies so I could be more specific.  I have a bit of a thing about 80's movies and those with very quotable lines that you never forget, these do it every time...



1. Heathers (1988)

An obvious choice for me really isn't it?  Although I should hate a film about someone who loathes 3 girls with the name 'Heather' but this film rocks.  It's an amazing satirical take on life inside a high school with the 'popular' people and the black comedy is just genius.  Plus how can you not love a film with these lines in it:


"Grow up Heather, bulimia is so '87"
"Heather, why can't you just be a friend?  Why do you have to be such a mega bitch?"
"It's your turn Heather"..."No Heather, it's Heathers turn.  Heather?"..."Sorry Heather".
"I brought you to a Remington Party and this is my thanks? It's on the hallway carpet.  I got paid in puke!"..."Lick it up baby...lick...it...up!"
"I use my grand IQ to decide what colour lip gloss to wear in the morning"
"She's my best friend.  God I hate her"


2. Top Gun (1986)

Yes it's incredibly cheesy but I love it.  These are the days when Tom Cruise wasn't a big alien loving freakoid but an incredibly scrumptious bit of eye-candy.  I think I have watched this film more than any other film in my DVD collection.  My love for this film is what brought my husband and I together before we'd even met (we met online) and I even recall when we did get together he left me a paper aeroplane note on my pillow one morning. Cheese overload!  Word of warning, don't ever watch this film with me as I know pretty much every line.  I'm not going to line quote as you'll know them but just leave you with my favourite:

"If you screw up just this much you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong"


3. The Lost Boys (1987)

For me, this is the ultimate vampire flick (although I do also love From Dusk Till Dawn) long before the days of Team Edward and whoever else is in the Twilight saga.  Some great performances from the young actors in this movie (and the Grandpa has some brilliant lines) and the best by far from a young Corey Haim - I still love the bath scene so much and when Max comes to dinner...hilarious!  Some of my favourite quotes have to be:

"No.  I just like to read the TV guide.  Read the TV guide, you don't need a TV"
"You're a vampire!  I knew it!"..."No I'm not"..."So what are you?  The flying nun?"
"There's one thing about living in Santa Carla I could never stomach. All the damn vampires!"


4. Weird Science (1985)

This is a strange choice I know - it's the daftest story...2 geeky guys crave female attention and end up creating a woman who ends up wreaking havoc in their lives whilst their parents are out of town. Again, I think I love it for it's comedy and daft quotable lines...and maybe the toilet humour.  The bit when Garry takes Lisa to meet his parents is genius and has me laughing my ass off every time.

"Mom, I never toss off to anything"..."You told me you were combing your hair!"


5. The Breakfast Club (1985)

It was hard for me to pick a 5th as there are so many (see below) that could have easily made the list.  The set up for this movie sounds as dull as anything - 5 students in detention over a weekend. But the mix of personalities from these students who have absolutely nothing in common apart from their punishment is fabulous.  This is the ultimate                                                          'Brat Pack' movie.


Some more 80's movies I like: All Of Me, Back To The Future, Big, Brewsters Millions, Class, Cocktail, Coming To America, Dirty Dancing, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Footloose, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Gregorys Girl, Highlander, The Karate Kid, Labyrinth,  Mannequin, The Money Pit, The Never Ending Story, An Officer And A Gentleman and Risky Business

Photobucket

17 comments:

Lady Estrogen said...

Awesome!! I have to admit - after Heathers, we part ways a bit.
I think my 5 would go:
Heathers
Ferris Bueller
Ghostbusters
Dirty Dancing
And since I have the Auryn from the Neverending Story tattooed on my back, I'll throw in that one for my #5 ;)

Kate said...

Heathers! Totally forgot about that film. In fact I love all your choices except Top Gun - Tommy boy never did it for me...
As I just commented on another list - The Breakfast Club was great barr Emilio Estivez' crazed dance after getting stoned - wrong on so many levels...

Metal Mummy said...

Ahhh, you're actually the same as me! I booted from dusk.till dawn out to keep lost boys in. I adore dusk till dawn. It's probably the only film I truly liked George clooney in. Oh, and youre not alone. I put books, cds and dvds in alphabetical order. xx

JoJo said...

oh Heathers. I love it. x

Emma@christmascupboard said...

OMG...Breakfast club! I Love that movie!

Kerry said...

Ferris beuller...bueller....bueller, loved it! Great nostalgia value list x

myevil3yearold said...

I just noticed something. You spell "favorite" funny- hehe

I like all of your choices and call me a dork but I love the movie Short Cicruit.

"Hey, Lazer Lips. Your momma was a snow blower."

still makes me laugh

Michelle Reeves - Bod for tea said...

Yay for 80s movies!! LOVE the Breakfast Club! LOVE Lost Boys (especially the song that's played when they fly, I know, I'm odd). :D

Inside the Wendy House said...

I just introduced my kids to the Lost Boys and they loved it. Kiefer Sutherland was such a babe! I want my girls to love REAL vampires instead of the sparkly, Edward Cullen variety!!!

alyson said...

Ah TopGun - she has my car - I still yearn for that Porsche.. one day *stares off wistfully*

A Farmer's Wife said...

Love your list.

I laughed at your Top Gun story about knowing all the lines. When I was 21 (back in my young and gorgeous days) I had a boyfriend who was an RAAF pilot. He was super cute. One day, he and his friends took me to see Top Gun which was playing at a special big, round cinema thing in Perth. They literally knew all the lines and had developed actions to go with them. So funny and so embarrassing.... Eventually they got told to be quiet or to leave!

Anonymous said...

Arghh! Weird Science! Breakfast Club! I'm going to have to go onto LoveFilm and order myself a slice of 80's nostalgia...Pretty in Pink too methinks. Great list

Rachel said...

Heathers and the Breakfast Club - two of the best ever! Great list.

Him Up North said...

Breakfast Club rocks! Twitter comes alive when it's on too. "Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?" Perfect!

Ooh Baby - All things Cuteable said...

Great choices! You canny beat 80's films. I still have them all on video, can't bear to part from them. I had such a crush on Andrew McCarthey ;o)

Also, nobody has mentioned the Outsiders? Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, C Thomas Howell, Emilio Estevez and Tom Cruise. I might have to add a number 6!

Anonymous said...

Now this post takes me back! All great choices - exceopt I have a confession - I've never seen Top Gun . . . sssshhhhhhh!)

Laura said...

There are some great films there, although I have to admit to having never seen The Breakfast Club. I love Grandpa in The Lost Boys, he has some classic lines. I'd also have to add Outrageous Fortune, Adventures in Babysitting, Beverly Hills Cop, The Goonies...darn it, there are just too many good '80's films! x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...