Friday 1 April 2011

Flashback Friday - Get Your Kicks On Route 66

It's that time of year when I'm starting to think about whether or not we'll get a holiday this year.  BMC (before Mini Cheddar) we were lucky enough to do a lot of traveling and the other day I was thinking back to one of our amazing trips we did which was exactly 6 years ago.  We planned the trip ourselves booking flights, our car and all our hotel stops ourselves and planning out our route - it was so much fun.  It was something both of us had always longed to do.  So, March 2005 we headed off ready for our long planned adventure...

to travel across Route 66, the mother road, right across America in a convertible car.

The trip saw us stop for a few days with relatives in Washington DC first before getting a connecting flight to Chicago to pick up our car.  Then, after a quick detour to Iowa to visit more relatives we headed down through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.  We covered well over 3,000 miles in 16 days - it was incredible.  We even threw in a quick detour into Nevada to visit the Hoover Dam and stayed in Las Vegas for a couple of nights (never again) and stopped off at the Grand Canyon.  We also travelled down to San Diego after visiting L.A. and shoehorned a trip to Death Valley too.

We have so many fantastic memories, I still can't believe it was 6 years ago.  What made the trip even more memorable was there was a random freak snow storm in Texas one day then it was boiling hot the next day!  This is when my love affair with America started.

Never ending road
Oklahoma (oh dear)
Texas or The Arctic?
New Mexico
Grand Canyon
Driving down The Strip in Las Vegas

Kodak Theatre (Oscars), L.A.


Can you tell I wasn't exactly into photography then?


Now head over to Karin's place at Cafebebe and check out all the other entries...

15 comments:

Vickie Ford said...

I am so jealous of this as you know it's on my bucket list, what an amazing memory to have! Will you be revisiting with MC?

Karin @ Cafe Bebe said...

Well, my dear, you win the prize today! My homeland! And I've been to several of those places! What a wonderful trip. I happen to have a picture that you might like as well...might have to pull it out for next week! Well done you! ;)

Karin

Mari's World said...

I love the States and have seen some of the places you mention. Route 66 was on our list but thatnks to the twins has been put back a few years :) Check you out at the Kodak Theatre!

Inside the Wendy House said...

You are so well travelled!! Love your pics...what an amazing experience!

Emma@christmascupboard said...

OMG...My dream trip! Great photo's!
We have been planning this same trip for years, lol. We have decided we will def do it within the next 10 yrs and we want to hire a camper van x

Mummy and the Beastie said...

I would love to drive Route 66! definately an experience to cherish. One day I hope to do it, my husband has always had the dream of driving over there in a Winnebago...think Meet the Fockers without the rubber boob, he he x

Lakes Single Mum said...

I'd love to do that trip one day. Looks like a fab time

Tales of a Tai Tai said...

I've always wanted to do that trip! Sounded like lots of fun. There must be a lot of convertibles on that highway!!! Still think the pics are great. Happy weekend!!! xxx

Mrs E said...

Wow that sounds like an amazing time- it is one of my hubby's dreams to drive Route 66, and he wants to do it an old cadillac!

Tamsyn wood said...

that looked sooo cool! looks like u ahd a wonderful time too (lucky cow)...!!

see u soon, tamsyn xxx

Anonymous said...

wow what a trip! I have to admit, I can't take long car rides so I don't think I could log those miles.
I've been to the Grand Canyon and it's really kid of beyond words to describe. Hope you find yourself doing some traveling again soon!

Anonymous said...

I too spend a lot of time remembering great holidays pre-babies. Am addicted to holiday window shopping now - and finding cunning ways to travel with the kids too. Though couldn't face a long flight with them yet.

Jenny said...

What an awesome road trip to have undertaken! I would love to do something like that one day! The photos are great memories of that holiday. X

Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

I loved America, and Canada too. Your road trip looks fab. Wish it didn't involve long flights!

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies....it was a fab road trip and experience. I'd love to do it again when my daughter is older xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...