Wednesday 21 December 2011

What A Difference 3 Years Makes

This time 3 years ago I was pregnant with Mini Cheddar. About the same stage as I'm in with my current pregnancy. She was to be our first baby and Matt and I were very excited. However, Matt was quite over-protective.

I gave up work Christmas Eve even though MC wasn't due until mid-March as Matt didn't like the idea of me driving up to Preston and back (a 128 mile round trip) every day. To be honest, I was grateful of this. It gave me a chance to look after myself and fully prepare for the new arrival.

Matt didn't like me driving anywhere and would worry about me - and the baby - constantly. He would get nervous if I was planning a night out or anything out of the ordinary that meant I was leaving the house for any substantial amount of time.

We had decided to spend our 'last Christmas on our own' and I mean quite literally 'on our own'. We had Christmas dinner and the whole of Christmas Day at home, just the two of us (and the late Betty Dogface). I had wanted to go abroad for Christmas as a treat but Matt was nervous about straying too far away from home incase anything happened and we needed to get to the hospital. I suggested going up to Bamburgh (a place we both loved) but even that, a mere 4 hour drive, was too far for comfort for him.

It became mildly frustrating - especially as his nervousness *ahem* also affected our sex life a bit.

However, looking back I understand.

What I'm failing to understand this time around is just how relaxed Matt is about the new arrival. He's taking it all in his stride - in fact, he's admitted to me that most of the time he even forgets I'm pregnant! How he does this I'll never know as I'm sporting a mighty bump.

That will be me in 2 weeks (hopefully)
Photo credit: freedigitalphotos.net
We've just returned from a 4 night break in Edinburgh (a 4.5 hour drive away from home) but more importantly, in October Matt only went and booked a 3 week holiday to Florida and we fly out 2 weeks today! I'll be 27 weeks on the day we fly and 30 weeks on the way back. I've even had to get a 'fit to fly form' signed by my consultant for the return journey.

I know it sounds a bit daft but I didn't want to go at first. Matt took a good couple of weeks to persuade me. I think it was the fact that he wanted to book it at a time when I was feeling so ill in the earlier stages of my pregnancy. I would have thought that he would have seen how ill I was and thought that a holiday wasn't the best idea.  Oddly though, Matt was persistent - even when I told him that airlines get a bit nervous taking pregnant women after the 28 week mark. How times have changed in the mind of my husband it seems!

Still, I'm so grateful for my wonderful husband who wants us to really enjoy these last few months as a family of three.

So, that's it. We are going. That is if nothing happens in the next 2 weeks to stop us. I'm coming around to the thought of the holiday now and I am quite excited but I still have doubts - I think it's the fact it's right after the Christmas break and I have so much to do my head is in a spin.

Matt seems so relaxed about it all and now it's my turn to be a little nervous!




11 comments:

Emma said...

It sounds like he is being very sweet :-) Have a wonderful Christmas and holiday! I'm sure Florida will be fantastic! xxxx

PhotoPuddle said...

As I mentioned to you before the idea of flying while pregnant or even leaving the country terrifies me but then I'd spend my entire pregnancy no more than 30 mins away from my hospital if I could! LOL!
I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time though. Very jealous, I could do with a holiday!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Sounds like you have an absolute gem there. Men like yours are fairly rare these days!

I live a couple of miles from Bamburgh, the christmas lights are currently beautiful.

CJ x

Looking for Blue Sky said...

On my second and and especially my third pregnancy I was quite careful, and you know what happened with no 2..but on my first I did loads, I had a GA in hospital at 4 months, ran in a 10k race at 5 months and flew to Wales to see my family at 6 months and 8 months, and Angel turned out absolutely fine. Go and enjoy your holiday xx

alysonsblog said...

Im not jealous about your trip to Florida AT ALL - MC will just explode when she gets to Disney - its American schmaltz at its very best x

workinglondonmummy said...

Have a wonderful time in Florida, merry Christmas Heather xx

SAHMlovingit said...

She keeps asking when we are going now and it's driving me mad! x

SAHMlovingit said...

Wow, I couldn't run a 10k race anymore even if I wasn't pregnant!  Thanks honey, I fully intend to enjoy it - I'm sick of the cold weather and feeling ill xx

SAHMlovingit said...

You know what CJ, you're right - he is a gem :)

Sooooo jealous you live so near Bamburgh, I love it there, so beautiful x

SAHMlovingit said...

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous but I also know the break away and some sun will work wonders for me - I'm sick of being ill and cold at the moment x

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for newbie blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.



My page ... Small Buisness Ideas

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...