Tuesday 12 April 2011

Movie Meme - World Cinema

A fantastic prompt for this weeks Metal Mummys Movie Meme.  World Cinema.

So roughly translated... any film that isn't in your spoken language.

I know some people aren't fans of subtitled films but me, I love them.  I think it's the fact that you have to make sure you concentrate so somehow you become more engrossed in the film, taking it all in - every last detail.

I had 2 films that immediately sprang to mind but I knew one of them would have been picked as it's a top movie on a lot of people's list - Pan's Labyrinth chosen by Vickie.

However, as it's a well known film I probably would have swayed towards the other film in the hope I could spread the knowledge of this film a little further...

Ne le dis à personne (Tell No One)

There's one reason I watched this movie - I'm a MASSIVE Harlan Coben fan, I have stack of his books.  Harlan is an American author of thrillers and mystery novels and they are the type of books that twist and turn and leave you hanging at the end of every chapter so you just have to keep reading.

When I heard they were making a film based on one of his most famous books I was a bit skeptical, after all look what they did to Captain Correlli's Mandolin (I still have nightmares about how they managed to get the film SO wrong).  But, I knew I would have to watch it.

I watched it with my husband who hasn't ever read a Harlan Coben book in his life.

We both LOVED it.

It's a French film directed by Guillaime Canet (the dude who played Etienne in the film The Beach - funnily enough a film that veers a little off track from the brilliant book) and it's been quoted so many times as being one of the best films of 2008.  They changed the ending slightly, as they did with The Beach, but it worked.  It's brilliant.

Basically the man in the lead role (Francois Cluzet, who looks a little like Dustin Hoffman) misses his wife who was brutally murdered years go - or so he thought.  Then he gets an email showing her on CCTV alive.

As usual, I don't want to give too much away incase you want to watch the film (I suggest you do!) so this week I'm just going to tempt you with the trailer:



Even watching the trailer set my heart racing.  I think I may have to watch it again tonight.

What's your favourite?  Head over to Hannah's blog and link up...


10 comments:

Metal Mummy said...

I love Harlan Coben stuff, but haven't watched this film yet.

I will defo be watching it when I find it on TV or on Amazon :) Thanks! xx

Vickie said...

Another film on the love film list, I am starting to think i am the only person who hated the beach
xxx

Mari's World said...

I loved Tell No One too and actually didn't know what to expect when I ordered it. I now have Volver waiting and I love Pedro Almodovar's films - just need to find time

Bloggomy said...

Another film I haven't seen and should by the sounds of it - obviously spent way too much time watching horrors and missed all the other genre's x

Gherkin said...

Great film! Thanks for reminding me about it - must see it again!

Kizzy said...

I'm not good at watching foreign films, sounds like a great one though.

Anonymous said...

Haha yes Captain Corelli was baaaaad... cringe thinking of Nic Cage's dodgy accent... almost enough to put you off book adaps! This sounds intriguing tho. Not read any Harlan Coben but I have a friend who's a huge fan and she's always urging me to read them... maybe I'll just watch this film instead! :)

Inside the Wendy House said...

Ian loves Harlan Coben...I'll give him the heads up! x

Anonymous said...

Love love love this film. (As an aside when I wrote about it as one of my fave films a while back, I added an image and a tag of the dog (a Briard) and it's one of the most popular search terms for my blog - go figure!)
x

Unknown said...

Yes ladies - anyone who;s not seen this I can heartily recommend it. It's amazing. A real rollercoaster ride of a movie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...